Friday, January 16, 2015

Thern alpha; & omega, & the two thieves.

I met Thern in Anckee, an area close to my current home of Mobrault. He seemed like a nice enough character and was flying with a close friend of mine, Lord Valspeir, so I decided to take the risk and engage him in an interview. He was one of the few of their pack who had an ego large enough to interview, but an ego regarding what I was not sure for I could barely find out. It seemed as if Mr. Thern alpha had so intense an ego, that he could not even capitalize his last name, or maybe it was that capitalization wasn't his fancy, another useless form of punctuation.


I asked him to describe himself to me, and he claimed he was a thief, scammer, avoxer, general horrible moral-less spaceman of tranquility. Beyond that, he wasn't much of anything, other than another American, but a nice one. Perhaps if I was to ever visit America, he'd show me around. Though, after our short conversation, it seems more likely he'd never pick me up from the airport. That's okay since I hope I never travel to that land of freedom since France is filled with much more liberty.


He claimed he had helped some people out in Omist, or was it that he helped some people out of Omist. I can not recall. He spoke in short lines, without periods and without complete thoughts, a sort of rambling, like the rambling of a thieves I've met outside of Tranquility. He used many words synonymously, avoxing for instance also meant grieving, and grieving also meaning awox, and awoxing also meaning grieving without grief, and I just can't figure it out because it's an acronym. To put it bluntly, this man confused the living piss out of me, which is probably how people fall victim to his tactics.


So, a quick talker, amongst other things, he claimed to be a wormhole lover, and an American. While I wasn't that interested in talking about America, as I live here and know the general substance of our politics, state, and society, Thern seemed to be more an American than a Tranquilitan, so it kept coming up. The only thing I can say is this man would make a better spy than whatever he does at the moment.


He might also make a decent preacher since his understanding of crime & punishment, his understanding of exploitation, and his understanding of morality where quite well-versed. He knew what was a crime, and what was not, but when posed the question, "How can you be good or evil in eve? Since it's just pixels..." he did not know the answer. However, he did know it was about personal choice, or was that "personnel" choice?


Regardless, he was a griever, an act he considered to be on a higher moral caliber (no pun intended) than avoxing, or awoxing, whichever one it is. He grieves for spaceships, assets, isk, and space, a sort of scamming when you get right down to it, taking whatever materials and goods one is willing to hand over at the time. And thus, the level of ambiguity and synomity, is 'synomity' a word? (NOPE) sure it can be one for now, reached an all-time high with scamming joining the malicious acts of grieving without grief.


He bragged about being in the crime & punishment forums, on eve online's eve gate I assume. I do not care to look it up, even as a journalist, I found the moral fiber of him to be a bit below my rational & emotional level of caring about. His heist on the forums was in the amount of "6 or so bil," then he had "another for 23 bil," finally "a few other like one where i toke 2 thana's, an orca, an rorq and several battleships from a c1 wh group". I found that one particularly amusing for its form and practice, exploiting the weak, but marginally more powerful than others, wormholers, for their industrial spacecraft which build the spacecraft of others.


As a thief, his efforts were top-notch, I just wish I had a better memory for the personal or personnel experiences he was involved in, since he spoke so much about nothing that the contentless lines kept filling up our conversation log, pushing the few points of content farther and farther apart. But then again, it is really my fault, a novice journalist, I need to take better notes as I interview.


When asked why he does it, he replied "I had the chance and i toke it". I honestly couldn't agree more! If I was in a position to steal several rorq's from a wormhole, well, I'd have to level up my skills just to fly them. I suppose that is what he meant by chance, as that is what many mean when they say luck, but I was inferring at the moment of interview that chance meant something more like opportunity. I guess we'll never know which word we really meant.


When questioned about his alts, he claimed to have 12, well, he had 12 toons, he had 4 accounts, and his mains were Caldari, Minmatar, and Gallente. Thus, he avoided having an Amarrian alt, *ahem* I mean main, I can only imagine why, being an American as well as a member of the military, I'm sure that had no impact upon his choices. When I exclaimed that was a fair number of alts, he unamusedly claimed to have had more in the past, but sold many off, and gave some to friends, and so on. I just could not imagine where this man (or woman, or whoa-man, or squirrel, or weman) found time to learn eve in 6 months and then play 20 or so toons.


When I asked what propelled Thern alpha forward in the game, what made Mr. alpha tick and move, jive and dive, he claimed, "i like playing due to the thrill/ppl", which I found quite amusing since I have found fewer role-players in Tranquility than in real life. I suppose he just really liked people, and taking their stuff, while I find most communities, whether Tranquility or not, a real bore. But then again, I'm generally the one "entertaining" the communes. When asked if he was more on the side of creation or destruction, he claimed to be on "both," since he has both industrially produced things, such as an archon, and since he also "pop"s things, https://zkillboard.com/character/577352168/ .



He holds a strong relationship with the goons, whom he likes, and says they are not more evil or bad than other groups, since they just like the "bad guy" image. It seems like you're not really evil or bad in eve, considering its just pixels, but the pixilation didn't matter to Thern, what mattered to Thern was stealing a huge load of hard-worked for isk and getting out of the wormhole alive to tell the story about it... if he & I could only recall a few more details. I figure if people like Thern can be friends with the goons and still blow up their spaceships, I could too, so I set out to make this a new goal of mine, if I could find the time in my busy schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment